Partner - Dispute Resolution and Litigation
Mark is a leading commercial and contract litigation lawyer.
He has specialist knowledge and experience in banking and finance recoveries, creditors’ remedies, receivership and insolvency law, Securities Act litigation, relationship property disputes, and commercial and contract law.
Mark represents major banking and financial institutions in New Zealand as well as many receivers and liquidators. He has acted for a range of clients facing investigation by the Financial Markets Authority and Serious Fraud Office. He also has a significant practice representing clients in relationship property disputes. Mark also has extensive experience in other forms of dispute resolution with a particular emphasis on mediation. He has acted both as mediator and as counsel in numerous mediations involving commercial disputes.
Dick Smith Voluntary Administration
Advised the Administrators of Dick Smith in New Zealand, including obtaining court orders for their appointment to the largest administrations in Australia and New Zealand.
Crafar Farms Receivership
Acted for the receivers appointed by Westpac to four related companies that between them operated 22 dairy farms throughout the north Island of NZ. This was the largest privately owned dairy farming operation in NZ.
FMA v Insurance broker
Advised an insurance broker on litigation threatened by the FMA alleging fraud and breaches of the Financial Advisors Act and Insurance Intermediaries Act.
FMA v Funds Manager
Advising a New Zealand Funds manager facing allegations of market manipulation by the FMA.
Korda Mentha Appointment as Property Manager
Acted for Korda Mentha to obtain court orders appointing it Property Manager over the assets of a high net worth New Zealand citizen. We continue to advise the client in the matter.
Relationship Property Litigation
Acting for a number of high net worth individuals in relationship property disputes involving complex corporate and trust structures.
- New Zealand (1986)
- LLB University of Auckland
- BA University of Auckland
- Director, Electricity Authority
- Director, FairWay Resolution Ltd
- Deputy Chair of Board of Trustees, Auckland Grammar School
- Member, The Institute of Directors in New Zealand
- Banking and Finance Litigation
- Commercial Claims
- Contractual Disputes
- Insolvency and Reconstruction
- Private Equity
- Relationship Property
- Recognised by Best Lawyers for Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Ranked as a leading Dispute Resolution lawyer, Chambers Asia Pacific & Global
- Ranked as a leading Insolvency and Restructuring lawyer, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Ranked as a leading Dispute Resolution lawyer, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific