Partner - Environment and Planning
Rachel provides advice on all aspects of environmental and resource management law for private and public sector clients – from design through to approval, implementation and operation.
Rachel has advised extensively on requirements for resource consents, including major industrial and infrastructure projects, and implications of planning requirements. She has significant experience in obtaining complex environmental and project approvals for developers, and advises on other environmental issues including pollution licensing and contaminated land.
Her commercial experience means Rachel can provide practical, down-to-earth solutions to environmental problems in any context – corporate transactions, planning projects or site management.
In recognition of her environmental expertise, Rachel was President of the New Zealand Resource Management Law Association during 2018 and 2019.
Reverse sensitivity planning
Maintained protection for one of Liquigas’ major hazard facilities from sensitive activities through a plan change process.
Archaeological sites at Ihumātao
Advised Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga on its decision to grant archaeological authority to Fletcher Residential Limited to modify or destroy archaeological sites known as Ihumātao, which was upheld by the Environment Court.
Ports of Auckland
Advising on strategic environmental aspects of the Hydrogen Demonstration Project including regulatory and legislative requirements.
Ministry of Transport on Light Rail in Auckland
Advising the Ministry of Transport on strategic environmental aspects of the procurement process for Light Rail in Auckland.
- 2000, England and Wales
- 1996, New Zealand
- Associate Environmental Auditor IEMA & QSA
- LLB (Hons), University of Waikato
- Member International Environmental Lawyers Network
- Member The Petroleum Exploration and Production Association of New Zealand (PEPANZ)
- President of the Resource Management Law Association (2018 - 2019)
- Climate Change
- Energy and Resources
- Maori and Treaty Negotiations
- Public Law
- Ranked as a Band 1 Environment and Resource Management lawyer, Chambers Asia Pacific
- Ranked as a Band 1 Energy and Natural Resources lawyer, Chambers Global
- Ranked as a leading Projects and Resource Management lawyer, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Winner, Environment Lawyer of the Year New Zealand, Corporate LiveWire 2016
- International Who's Who Environment Lawyer 2011-2019