Partner - Environment and Planning
Rachel provides advice on all aspects of environmental and resource management law for private and public sector clients – from design through to approval, implementation and operation.
Rachel has advised extensively on requirements for resource consents, including major industrial and infrastructure projects, and implications of planning requirements. She has significant experience in obtaining complex environmental and project approvals for developers, and advises on other environmental issues including pollution licensing and contaminated land.
Her commercial experience means Rachel can provide practical, down-to-earth solutions to environmental problems in any context – corporate transactions, planning projects or site management.
In recognition of her environmental expertise, Rachel is President of the New Zealand Resource Management Law Association.
East West Link proposal
Acting as Mercury’s legal advisor in relation to the NZ Transport Agency’s East West Link proposal.
Granting of archaeological authority
Advised Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga on its decision to grant archaeological authority to Fletcher Residential Limited to modify or destroy archaeological sites, which has been appealed by four parties to the Environment Court.
- Admitted to the bar in New Zealand in 1996 and in England and Wales in 2000
- Associate Environmental Auditor IEMA & QSA
- LLB (Hons), University of Waikato
- President of the Resource Management Law Association
- Member International Environmental Lawyers Network
- Member The Petroleum Exploration and Production Association of New Zealand (PEPANZ)
- Energy and Resources
- Maori and Treaty Negotiations
- Public Law
- Ranked as a Band 1 Environment and Resource Management lawyer, Chambers Asia Pacific
- Ranked as a Band 1 Energy and Natural Resources lawyer, Chambers Global
- Ranked as a leading Projects and Resource Management lawyer, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Winner - Environment Lawyer of the Year New Zealand - Corporate LiveWire 2016
- International Who's Who Environment Lawyer 2011-2019