MinterEllisonRuddWatts is a leading New Zealand Law firm that is part of the MinterEllison Legal Group. This policy outlines the way in which we manage the personal information we hold about our clients, potential clients, contractors and others. We, us, our, MinterEllisonRuddWatts, MinterEllison Legal Group and MinterEllison Organisations are defined at the end of this policy.
MinterEllisonRuddWatts is bound by the Privacy Act 1993 (Privacy Act).
In summary, ‘personal information' is information about an identifiable individual.
Why does MinterEllisonRuddWatts collect personal information?
We collect personal information in order to conduct our business, to provide and market our services and to meet our legal obligations.
Who does MinterEllisonRuddWatts collect personal information about?
We collect and hold personal information about (but not limited to):
- clients, business associates and potential clients and their employees and contractors;
- individuals we deal with in the course of acting for clients and carrying on our business;
- suppliers and their employees and contractors;
- prospective employees, employees and contractors; and
- other people who come into contact with MinterEllisonRuddWatts.
What kinds of personal information does MinterEllisonRuddWatts collect?
In general, and depending upon the nature of the person’s connection with MinterEllisonRuddWatts, the type of personal information we collect and hold includes (but is not limited to): names, addresses, contact details, occupations, personal preference payment details, employment history, education and qualifications, testimonials and feedback and other information which assists us in conducting our business, providing and marketing our services and meeting our legal obligations.
In some cases, if personal information we request is not provided, it might adversely impact our ability to supply the relevant product or service or to perform our obligation.
How does MinterEllisonRuddWatts collect personal information?
Except as otherwise permitted by law, we will collect personal information:
- from you directly when you provide your details to us;
- from you indirectly (through emails, forms, subscription applications, face-to-face meetings, interviews, registration and attendance at seminars, business cards, telephone conversations and through the use of the services and facilities available through our websites and social media channels);
- from publicly available websites.
Management of personal information
We take reasonable steps to protect the security of personal information. MinterEllisonRuddWatts’ personnel are required to respect the confidentiality of personal information and the privacy of individuals.
We take reasonable steps to protect personal information held by us from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, for example by use of physical security and restricted access to electronic records.
Where we no longer require your personal information we will comply with our legal obligations in respect of that information.
How might MinterEllisonRuddWatts collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
In general, we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to conduct our business;
- to provide and market our services to you;
- to provide joint marketing initiatives with other service providers;
- to engage third parties on your behalf;
- to communicate with you;
- to purchase goods or services;
- to help us manage and enhance our services; and
- to comply with our legal obligations.
To whom might MinterEllisonRuddWatts disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- other members of the MinterEllison Legal Group;
- other companies or individuals who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf (such as mailing houses, hosting and data storage providers, specialist consultants and barristers);
- social media sites on which we have a presence;
- courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities;
- anyone else to whom you authorise us to disclose it; and
- where we are required to do so by law.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
We endeavour to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. We encourage you to contact us in order to update any personal information we hold about you. Contact details are set out below. You have the right to correct any personal information we hold about you in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Subject to the exceptions set out in the Privacy Act, you may seek access to the personal information which we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Officer (the Chief Financial Officer) on 0800 862 774.
We will require you to verify your identity and to specify what information you require. A fee may be charged for providing access. If a fee is to be charged, we will advise you of the likely cost in advance.
How can you make a privacy complaint?
If you have any questions about privacy related issues or wish to complain about the handling of your personal information by us, please contact our Privacy Officer (the Chief Financial Officer) on 0800 862 774. We may ask you to lodge your complaint in writing. Any complaint will be investigated by the Privacy Officer and you will be notified of the decision in relation to your complaint as soon as practicable after it is made, usually within 20 working days.
If we are unable to satisfactorily resolve your concerns about our handling of your personal information, you can contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at: PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143, phone 0800 803 909, http://privacy.org.nz/.
Address details of MinterEllisonRuddWatts
The address of MinterEllisonRuddWatts, as the person collecting and holding your personal information, is:
Updates to this Policy
This Policy will be reviewed from time to time to take account of new laws and technology, changes to our operations and practices and the changing business environment. The most current version of this Policy is located at www.minterellison.co.nz and can be obtained by contacting our Privacy Officer (the Chief Financial Officer).
In this Policy:
We, us and our means MinterEllisonRuddWatts in Auckland (Lumley Centre, 88 Shortland Street, Auckland) and Wellington (125 The Terrace, Wellington);
MinterEllison Legal Group means MinterEllisonRuddWatts, each MinterEllison Organisation and the partnership known as MinterEllison in Adelaide and Darwin;
MinterEllison Organisations means MinterEllison's offices in Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth, Beijing and Shanghai; MinterEllison’s limited liability company in Ulaanbaatar; the partnerships licensed to use the MinterEllison name which include the offices in London and Hong Kong; and the
MinterEllison Revenue Group (a partnership which provides taxation advice and related services together with management services).
Last updated: 12 October 2016