Partner - Corporate and Commercial
Rodney leads the Wellington corporate team and specialises in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and advising early-stage and growth businesses.
Rodney has an NZX Diploma and has advised a range of listed companies, NZX firms and substantial shareholders in relation to their participation in New Zealand’s capital markets.
A significant part of Rodney’s practice involves assisting early-stage and growth businesses with their legal needs: from day-to-day contracting and compliance issues through to advising on expansion activities and other significant transactions (such as raising capital, the entry or exit of shareholders, entering into joint ventures, or restructuring the business).
Rodney provides sound, pragmatic advice and is able to communicate complex issues in an easy to understand way. He regularly presents seminars and workshops on commercial and corporate law issues, and is a co-author of Lexis Nexis Practical Business Law and several chapters of Morison’s Company Law.
ParrotDog $2m equity crowdfunding
Advised craft brewery ParrotDog on its $2m equity crowdfunding campaign. Within 48 hours of opening, the campaign delivered the $2m equity funding necessary to build a new brewery and brew bar.
Advising Heritage Lifecare in relation to the roll-up acquisitions of a number of aged care businesses, and the subsequent investment into Heritage by Australian private equity firm Adamantem Capital.
Taharoa C Block Incorporated
Advising The Proprietors of the Taharoa C Block Incorporated in relation to the acquisition of all the shares in New Zealand Steel Mining Limited, which owns and operates the iron sand mining business at Taharoa on the North Island’s west coast.
Proactive Rehab Limited
Advising Proactive Rehab Limited in relation to the acquisition of several physio and rehabilitation businesses and advising Proactive’s shareholders on the subsequent sale of shares in Proactive to Acurity Health Group.
- 2001, England and Wales (non-practising)
- 1998, New Zealand
- NZX Diploma, Financial Services Institute of Australasia
- LLB, Victoria University of Wellington
- Member, The Institute of Directors in New Zealand
- Capital Markets
- Employee Share Schemes
- Growth Companies
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Privately Owned Business
- Shareholder Agreements
- Winner, Client Choice Award (M&A, New Zealand), Lexology 2019
- Ranked as a Notable Practitioner in Corporate and M&A, IFLR1000
- Ranked as a Notable Practitioner in Capital Markets , IFLR1000
- Winner, General Corporate Lawyer of the Year New Zealand, ILO Client Choice Awards 2016
- Leading Lawyer, Asialaw 2016
- Winner, Client Choice Award (General Corporate, New Zealand), Lexology 2016
- Recognised by Best Lawyers for Corporate Law