Cathy Quinn ONZM
Consultant - Corporate and Commercial
Cathy practices in MinterEllisonRuddWatts’ Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity teams as well as our China practice. Cathy was chair of our firm for eight years from 2009-2016.
Highly-regarded for her specialist legal work in mergers, acquisitions, securities law, corporate governance and private equity, Cathy is regularly sought out by international and local clients for her expertise in the areas in which she advises, and is a past Chair of the firm.
Cathy’s practice encompasses Corporate and Commercial, Government, Agribusiness and Health and Aging. She has particular expertise with Directors Duties, and was a past co-author of one of the leading company and securities law texts in New Zealand, Morison’s On Company and Securities Law, as well as being the principal author of MinterEllisonRuddWatts White Paper on Corporate Governance.
Her expertise spans mergers and acquisitions; advising on various security law issues; advising on numerous offshore ventures, acquisitions and divestments; advising on directors duties, corporate governance and general corporate law matters; advising businesses in the agribusiness sector on regulatory issues, governance, corporate law issues, restructuring, acquisitions, divestments and joint ventures; advising Asian entities on investing in New Zealand, including the dairy and forestry sector.
Cathy was a member of the Securities Commission for nine years and the only lawyer appointed to the government’s Capital Markets Development Taskforce, giving her a unique insight into the policy considerations underpinning our securities and capital markets. Cathy was an inaugural member of the Commercial Advisory Board to the New Zealand Treasury, and was appointed to the Board of the New Zealand Treasury in late 2016. Cathy is on the Executive Board of the New Zealand China Council. Cathy is a director of Fletcher Building Limited and Fletcher Building Industries Limited, Rangatira Investments and Tourism Holdings Limited.
Cathy has advised numerous boards on governance issues. In recognition of her expertise, Cathy has provided governance training for the director community along with a major accounting firm. Cathy is a regular commentator on securities, competition and corporate law.
Sale of GO Healthy
Advised the vendors of GO Healthy in the sale of 80% of its business to CDH Investments Ltd.
Diligent acquisition by Insight Venture Partners
Advised Diligent Corporation on its acquisition by Insight Venture Partners, the first deal in New Zealand in which a US incorporated company achieves an IPO in New Zealand and is listed on the NZX.
Iron Mountain billion dollar acquisition of Recall Holdings
Advised Iron Mountain (a NYSE listed company) on its application for OIO consent in relation to its proposal to acquire all of the shares in Recall Holdings, valuing over $3.5 billion.
VINCI Construction’s first acquisition in New Zealand
Advised VINCI Construction, the largest construction company in the world by revenue, on its acquisition of HEB Construction.
- 1987, New Zealand
- LLB, Victoria University of Wellington
- Independent Director, Fletcher Building
- Director, Tourism Holdings Limited
- Director, Rangatira Investments
- Independent Chair, Fertility Associates
- Member, Treasury Advisory Board
- Member, New Zealand Global Women
- Former Member, Council Executive Board of The New Zealand China Council
- Former Member, Capital Market Development Taskforce
- Former Member, New Zealand Business Roundtable
- Former Member, New Zealand Securities Commission
- Former Member, Subcommittee of the Legal Education Committee of the New Zealand Law Society
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- China Desk
- Private Equity
- Directors Duties
- Ranked as a Band 1 lawyer – Corporate/Commercial, Chambers Asia Pacific & Global
- Ranked as leading in Foreign Expertise (China), Chambers Global
- Ranked as a Leading Individual – Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Ranked as a Market Leader – M&A, Capital Markets and Private Equity, IFLR1000
- Recognised for Capital Markets Law, Corporate Law (Corporate Governance), Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Private Equity Law, Best Lawyers
- Awarded Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (2016)
- Winner – New Zealand Business Woman of the Year, Veuve Clicquot Business Woman Awards (2010)